Re: miscellany

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: miscellany
From: mit-eddie!titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu!kam@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Katherine Minister Hosch)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 90 15:23:59 CST
>     Has anyone bought Snap-On spanners recently?  What might I expect to spend
>     for this brand of tool?
>
> entirely too much.  i've a current price book, and have bought one
> new Snap-On tool (a slide gear puller/hammer.)  unless you really need
> a particular tool, or are using lots of tools very heavily, i'd stick
> with one of these choices:  1) craftsman; 2) S&K; or 3) find a decent
> used tool store.  i have purchased a number of used Snap-On tools,
> and it doesn't hurt as much at 1/2 of list price.
> richard

At the risk of starting a flame-war, I must beg to differ
with the response.  We have tried snap-on, s&k, and (of course) craftsman,
and I would recommend snap-on every time, if you can possibly afford them.
Craftsman is adequate for trivial stuff, but really seems guaranteed to
disappoint.  My husband and I made a pledge not to shop at sears after
we returned the second (and last) of two torc wrenches.  The first had been
opened and didn't contain any instructions at all.  The second had *not* been
opened, but when we opened it it was clear that it had been used.  The wrench
had cakes of greasy grime rubbed in it, and the instructions were covered in
greasy fingerprints.  We bought a used (not used sold as new) torc wrench
from snap-on, as well as several other items.  We seem always to reach for
the snap-ons when there is a choice. . .