Re: miscellany

To: british-cars%alliant.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Re: miscellany
From: mit-eddie!RELAY.CS.NET!chrisp%mrloog.wr.tek.com@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 28 Feb 90 08:58:06 PST (Wed)
RG wrote:
>Sizes named by size of *bolt head*
>Whitworth- He was one of the first to come up with a standard thread system.
>       Used in England from ><~1875? and even in the US for a while.
>       Used in random locations on British cars of all years until they
>       went metric in the late 70's.
>Metric- just as bad as the rest- there may be *3* thread pitches for a
>       given diameter, instead of just 2!
>There are/have been others, lesser used. And don't forget the pipe threads,
>(tapered).
>You think you have problems- My MG PA uses BSF, with some Whitworth thrown in.
>I have an ASF/C tap & die set, but still need to get BSF, Metric,AND Whitworth!

A friend has some whitworth sockets he had used to work in his Norton.  Somehow
I ended up with a few of them.  Imagine my surprise when I found that the
Moss gearboxes from early Jags were held together with nearly all Whitworth
fasteners!  I lucked out this time, as I had the correct socket to fit what
I was attempting to remove.

Has anyone bought Snap-On spanners recently?  What might I expect to spend
for this brand of tool?  I've finally located a route that the Snap-On
Tool Van follows (most shops up here buy Mac, and there somehow are just
not the same...:-).

 Christopher M. Perez           # chrisp@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM
 "Heart in mouth, teeth in pocket, I was about to depart in a glorified
 hip bath geared for 170mph!... pressing the starter...Cough! Blat!
 Sputter!...Cough! Blat!  Blatblatblat! Kerrrowwww! The 3.4-litre
 straight-six was in business..." To Le Mans by Jaguar by Tom Llewellin