Re: Quick Question (MGB)

To: alliant!Alliant.COM!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Quick Question (MGB)
From: sgi!abingdon.wpd.sgi.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Scott Fisher)
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 90 15:52:29 PST

        > Why not put the car in fourth and roll it forward to turn the motor?
        > All you need is a little stretch of level pavement.

        Works for me.  I just grab the roll bar and yank. When you run out of
        room, put it in nuetral and push it back, stick it in 4th and proceed.
         My Spridget book lists the valve adjustments in the order you come to
        them when you do it this way.    phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov

Sounds like it's time to recap the Rule of Nine:

For inline four-cylinder engines, here's how you
determine which valve's clearance to check:

1.  Stick the car in third or fourth gear (you don't have
    to push so far in third) and rock it back and forth
    by rolling the front tire.  Look to see which rocker
    arm is sticking up the highest; stop the car when the
    rocker is at its peak.

2.  Counting from the front of the engine, note the number
    of the valve that's sticking up.  On a Spridget, for
    instance, the intake valve of the number 3 cylinder will
    be valve 6.

3.  Subtract the number obtained in Step 2 from 9 (for a
    four-banger; subtract it from 13 for an inline six) and
    make a note of the result.  Using the example in Step 2,
    the number would be 3.

4.  Check the clearance on the valve that corresponds with
    the answer to Step 3.  In this example, you would check
    the valve clearance for the intake valve of the #2
    cylinder, because it's the third valve back from the front
    of the engine.

--
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral, fattening,
or politically incorrect.