New Regular gas in Colorado!

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM (TR Group)
Subject: New Regular gas in Colorado!
From: Larry Gillam <mit-eddie!hpfcpq.fc.hp.com!gillam@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 90 15:17:18 MST
        I stopped at my local gas station today and was greeted with
        a new choice of regular fuel! I asked for and received a
        pamphlet, that mostly patted themselves(Conoco)on the back, but
        also had SOME useful information. Here are some excerpts with
        the marketing bullshit left out.

                Introducing Conoco Regular RXL gasoline with DuPont
                VALVE MASTER lead substitute, a reformulated gasoline
                that's expecially good for cars, trucks and two-cycle
                engines designed to run on leaded gasoline.

                Regular RXL gasoline's special formula controls valve
                recession that could rob your engine of power and
                increase exhaust emissions. The special DuPont VALVE
                MASTER additive provides carburetor detergency and
                protects against icing stall and rust.

                The components in Regular RXL gasoline are seasonally
                adjusted year-round to accommodate Colorado's seasonal
                air quality problems.

                In the winter, Regular RXL gasoline's oxygen content
                is increased by 25%. The result- reduced carbon monoxide
                emissions and other pollutants that contribute to the
                "brown cloud" problem.

                In the summer, Regular RXL gasoline's reduced vapor
                pressure and lower aromatics reduce hydrocarbon
                emmisions, decreasing ozone formation and summer haze.

        What do ya think? The price/gallon was 98.9 . I couldn't say if it
        is much more than the usual leaded regular, but I'm sure there's
        a price to pay for this good for me, good for you, good for everybody
        stuff. Has this appeared anywhere else in the U.S.?
        It doesn't say anything about extensive tests being conducted to
        make sure these "components" didn't spell DEATH for rubber/plastic
        items.

        Comments?

                                        Larry
                                        Loveland, Colo.