Re: lubricating trunnions

To: decvax!Alliant.COM!british-cars@godzilla.dec.com
Subject: Re: lubricating trunnions
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 90 11:19:38 PST
        My TR-6 manuals call for 90-weight oil, not grease.  Grease supposedly
        works, however (which is good, because I don't know how to fill my
        grease gun with oil).

mjb and I had an offline discussion about this. The TR4 manual calls
for grease, and doesn't modify it for the 4A. Mark thought it should be
90-weight oil. (Triumph didn't see fit to publish a separate workshop
manual for the 4A; it's just a series of amendment sheets bound in with
the standard 4 manual. This leads to frustrating holes in coverage.)

The interesting thing is that the lower suspension fittings seem to
have changed from the 4 to the 4A, and then again more subtly in the
5/250. The photo in the workshop manual is of a 4, and there are three
grease nipples: one at the bottom of the trunnion, and one into the
bushing on either side of the trunnion. The 4A only has a single nipple
into the bottom of the trunnion (the parts catalog confirms this). The
250 parts catalog shows *exactly* the drawing of the front suspension
as the 4A, except that this nipple has been deleted (they didn't even
bother to update the part index numbers -- there's a hole in the ordering).

I haven't had Sarah's (a 4A) front suspension apart yet, but I will
soon. It may in fact be that from the 4A on, oil is appropriate instead
of grease. What I'm wondering is: if the grease nipple isn't there any
more on the 5/250 and 6, how does the oil/grease get to the trunnion?