Re: drivetrain noises

To: aberffraw!offroad@uunet.UU.NET, british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: drivetrain noises
From: mit-eddie!uunet.uu.net!lectroid!aberffraw!caloccia@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 90 10:29:37 -0500
Hi,

        A while ago I wrote about a 'whump-whump-whump' sound
in my drive train of my recently acquired '69 Mk IIa Land Rover.
It seemed more toward the diff than the tranny, which occured under
(usually) deccelleration, in 4th, and sometimes third.

        I went down to see Fred Monsees, at Peirmont Off-Road in
Monument Beach (MA). I asked Fred to change the oils and lubricate the
truck, as well as check it out. He identified a number of things which
needed repair, as well as helping me figure out what should be done first.
Fred also let me hang out in the shop and talk with him about all kinds of
Land Rover stuff while he was doing the work.

        I had told him of this noise, and while under the vehicle he
noted that something was amiss.  As it turns out, someone who previously
removed the drive shaft, replaced it with the yokes rotated
90 degrees, [they should be in the same plane]. After fixing this
the noise disappeared.

        Well, I've got my work cut out, with this box full of wheel
bearings, tie-rod ends, muffler pipes, and assorted other parts. It'll
be a couple weekends before I'm ready to go out rovin'.

        'til later,
                --bill