re: TR-8 brakes

To: "bellcore!mit-eddie!alliant!british-cars"@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: re: TR-8 brakes
From: mit-eddie!bellcore!pyuxe!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 5 Mar 1990 10:34 EST
>I remember reading the Car&Driver review of TR-8 when it was new.  Seems to
>me it was written by Pat Bedard, if that matters.  He (or they) went bonkers
>over the car, especially the acceleration and handling, but were less than
>impressed with the brakes.  They even pointed out as to how the diameter of
>the rotors had been reduced from the TR-7, though the swept area was still
>high.  They commented as to how they would have considered diameter to be
>the more critical parameter.  It does suggest, though, that TR-7 brakes
>might be a better choice, if the parts will fit.  Bill S., is this reasonable?
>
>Jim Muller

If Jim's info is correct, it might seem appropriate to use TR-7 brakes,
but I'm not up to speed on the technical details of the TR-7 vs TR-8
brakes.  Logically, however, it doesn't make sense that the
engineers would have switched to a different, less effective,
braking system for the TR-8, since production of both 7s and 8s
was on the same assembly line and to do so would certainly have
incurred greater production costs.
I'd suggest checking with the following:

Ted Schumacher of TS Imported Automotive, (419-384-3022)
        Address: 404 Basinger Rd., Pandora, Ohio 45877

        Ted has actively raced TR-8's for at least 10 years, and
        his parts business carries many TR-8 competition items.
        If you (or anyone else) contacts Ted, tell him you heard
        about him from us.

Eight Parts (602-622-1290)
        Address: 731 South Vine Ave., Tucson, AZ 85719

As an owner of a TR-8 myself, I haven't been dissatisfied with
the brakes, but then I perhaps don't drive in as anagressive
manner as some others, at least not for a long enough period
of time to get the brakes that worked up.

Bill Sohl, Vintage Triumph Register Pres.
bellcore!pyuxe!whs70