Re: TR8 brakes

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: TR8 brakes
From: mit-eddie!iris.brown.edu!ejd@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 14:18:29 EST
Jim Muller reports from the 1980 C&D that part of the braking problem was
in the rears locking up early.  Perhaps the simplest way of tuning up one's
TR8 brakes is to try an adjustable proportioning valve - they're only about
$60, and installation should allow all four wheels to do their utmost to
stop the car.  And it's sure cheaper than a competition brake package.

Also, as for the 200lb difference between TR7 and TR8, I'd bet on the
coupe-drophead difference, though I have no real data.  The 3.5 V8
probably weighs 60-90lbs more than the 7 motor - if I recall correctly, the
7 motor is an alloy-block, (1/2 a Stag motor, eh?); the added weight comes in
the form of 1 head, 4 pistons & rods, a little more intake manifolding,
a second exhaust manifold, and extra coolant.

ed d.