Re: alignment tool and books

To: mit-eddie!uunet.UU.NET!lectroid!british-cars-local@EDDIE.MIT.EDU,
Subject: Re: alignment tool and books
From: linus!att!speedy!gerry@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 90 10:48:33 -0500
As mentioned a very good book to buy if you want to know about front
end alignment is "How to make Your Car Handle". They devote a whole
chapter to talk about caster, camber and toe etc, with several tables
showing the variious settings for many makes/models.

I used their technique for setting the caster/camber and toe on my
Scimitar about a year ago and after finishing, I was amazed at the
differenece on the feel of the car when everything was set up
correctly. It tracked straight, it did not suffer from bump steer and
it self centered much better. Just to convince myself that I had done
everything correctly, I took the car to NTW for them to check the
settings on their computera-alignment apparatus. After the guy set the
machine up, he found that all the setting were spot on according to the
figures in the manual.

The intersesting thing is that all I used was axle stands, a plumbers
level, some string and a straight bar with a piece of plywood attached.

This book also covers other very interesting aspects of how and why
cars  negotiate corners (or not as the case may be !!!!:))

Gerry