Berkleys

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Berkleys
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 08:10:43 EST
>screams "Berkley" all over the place. Right on down to being a two-stroke.
>(I'm talking B-90 here, not the one with the Ferrari 166 nose.)
>     Of course, I'm sure the GM car would be a real improvement over the
>original, just as that other clone, whose name I refuse to utter, has been
>an improvement over MGs and Elans. Then, again, anything could be an improve-
>ment over the Berkley's hard bench seat and goofy transmission!

Funny you should mention Berkley's... I just saw an add for one not too far
distant, a 1958. And in this weekends excitement, I forgot to look up what
they are, and their worth. Any Comments?

The Grand Opening of the SLCFWSC came off on schedule. After 5 years of
waiting, the engine came out of Tilly's GT, after about 4 hours of
disassembly. It sure was nice to stroll around underneath, disconnecting
and unbolting. (The boom on the tractor didn't make it, an engine crane
was procurred from the friendly mechanic/DIRT racer up the street, and
one WILL be ordered TODAY. :-) )
A couple bottles of English brew later, and proper application of air wrench
and breaker bars, and there are now engine parts from one end of the shop
to the other. #2 Rod bearing worn 1/2 way through what copper didn't
disintegrate completly- I guess thats why it knocked, eh? Crank isn't
too bad- .010 off the rod journals ought to do it. (only had about 10 sec
of knock before shutdown...) Failure mostly likley due to oil sludge blocking
passages. (engine was from another car, and had seen a couple long
periods of inactivity without proper care- Remember to change the oil
and run it a little bit before storing an engine, if you can. Otherwise,
you may want to pull the pan before activation)
Ah, it's so nice to have real grease under my finger nails again...
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | The All New:
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!