Broken stud advice

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Broken stud advice
From: Ken Neff <mit-eddie!osf.org!kneff@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 13:05:11 -0500
This weekend I removed the intake and exhaust manifolds from my wife's
vehicle (1972 Toyota LandCruiser).  Unfortunately, one of the manifold
studs broke off at the surface of the cylinder head.

Angry, but not yet defeated, I went to Sears and bought a reverse-thread
tap.  I went home, drilled the proper size pilot hole, and inserted the
tap.  It proceeded to bite into the stud.  When it had seated itself
firmly in the stud, I applied pressure, and it promptly broke off at
the surface of the stud.  I now have a manifold stud, with a hardened
tool steel die imbedded in it, stuck in the cylinder head.

As I see it, I can:

        1) Try to drill out the entire stud with the head still in the car.
        2) Remove the head and try to drill out the stud.
        3) Remove the head, take it to a machine shop and have someone
           with experience in such matters drill out the stud.

One of the few things which I hadn't planned on doing to this vehicle was
removing the head.  If I do so, I'll feel obliged to inspect the condition
of the valve train and possibly do more work.  The LandCruiser needs a lot
of work, and I'd like to avoid tackling it all at once.  We bought it a few
weeks ago, and it was obviously abused and neglected for many years and by
many different owners.

Any ideas?  Yes, I know that Toyota isn't a British company, but this type
of problem must be rather commonplace in poorly maintained older vehicles
of any sort.

                                        Thanks,
                                                Ken Neff

Ken Neff                              kneff@osf.org -or- kneff@osf.osf.org
Open Software Foundation              ...!uunet!osf!kneff