Mini Mania!

To: mit-eddie!eng.sun.com!philr@EDDIE.MIT.EDU,
Subject: Mini Mania!
From: linus!att!speedy!gerry@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 15:03:19 -0500
PHEW !!!!!!!!  Just finished the NJ Monte on Saturday night and I am
still recovering !!!!. An excellent map/tsd rally which according to
the attrition rate is very tough.

I believe there were 42 cars registered and about 15 were DNF's, but I
am happy to report that the trusty Midget survived very well with only
one minor incident.

On one of the many down hill sections, my navigator told me that we were
we were approx 2 mins behind. Therefore I was driving somewhat about the
30mph CAS, we had to maintain !!!!. Well about half way down this downhill
section I put my foot on the brakes and find out quite quickly that
althought the pedal is resiting, the vehicle is not slowing down !!
The strong smell of burning brake lining leads me to suspect that the
brakes have faded and anxiously look farward to see what is at the
bottom of the hill !!!!. Luck for us there are no intersections and finally
the brakes have cooled down enough that they are starting to respond again.

I was very surprised that the brakes did manage to fade, especially since
I have had the car for almost 3 years now, it has never happened to me
before.

I was very happy the way the Midget behalved and each rally I do, my
confidence in the car grows. I'm  ready for the Outback IV !!!

Map rallies are an interesting variation of the TSD theme, especially
at night when street signs and landmarks are very difficult to see.

Gerry

BTW -  we finished 3rd in class and 10th overall. It is nice to see a
1975 MG Midget leading expensive machines like Audi Quatro's, BMW's etc !!