Re: car clubs

To: alliant!Alliant.COM!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: car clubs
From: sgi!abingdon.wpd.sgi.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Scott Fisher)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 11:37:32 PST
>I've long been an Austin-Healey fan (it all started with a 1965 Sprite
>MkIII), and the latest issue of Classic and Sports Car (I believe) with
>its article on the Austin-Healey 100/4 brought Healey lust crashing to
>the forefront.
>
>So, I've decided that, since I can't afford to buy a big Healey, or even a
>Bugeye right now, I should at least learn more about them.  I'd like to join
>an A-H club.  I'm new to Massachusetts, and I don't know any Healey owners, so
>my only source of information is the back of AutoWeek, Road&Track, etc.  I've
>thus far found two A-H clubs listed.  How do I decide which one to join.  Both
>have magazines, one says its the largest in the USA (address in CA), the other
>is in Chicago.  Are there any in the New England area?  Is one magazine better
>than the other(s)?

The Austin-Healey Club, Pacific Centre is the only one I'm
familiar with.  I was involved with them in their South-Central
Coast Region, as editor for a couple of years and active member
before that.  (Then I moved and sold the Sprite...)

The AHCPC sponsors a generally good magazine called _Healey
Highlights_ that has nice pictures, features, etc.  They are
affiliated with regional clubs across the country; as editor
I used to see newsletters from clubs in Texas, Ohio, Washington
State, etc.  I can't recall a New England club but perhaps one
of the other list members can.

If you can find a local club, join it.  At the time I was the
editor of the Healey club, I owned an MG Midget (identical to
Sprite).  I also belonged to the American MGB Association,
which is a large national club with a good magazine and a
Midget Register.  But because the Healey club was local, I
was always doing things with those people.  We had lots of
fun, I got to see some lovely cars, and I made some friends
that I've kept even since I moved.

>Am I the only person for whom the prices of his(her) dream cars are rising
>much faster than his(her) salary?

Sounds like it's time for Fisher's Theorem of Automotive
Pricing again:

  By the time you can afford it, you can't afford it anymore.

(This theorem is also applicable to real estate, I've noticed.)