Driving in England

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Driving in England
From: David Boreham <uunet!inmos.com!davidb@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 18:39:29 GMT
Ralph E. Droms asks some questions about driving and renting in England.

1) Most rental cars are OK and should of course be driven into the ground.
   Getting an automatic could be difficult, but you don't want one of those
anyway.
   Avoid anything called  [Ford,Vauxhall,Rover]{engine size} L. The `L' means
   ``lousy''. Obvoiusly avoid japanese cars, but they are virtually unknown
   as rental cars (unlike the US I might add, I've never managed to rent a real
   car from National).

2) Can't tell about RHS driving, except that that's the correct side of the road
   anyway. If my experinces driving in the US and Europe are vaild, having the
   wheel on the right will help a deal. (Make sure you get into the right front
seat:)

3) Your journey from Gatwick to Reading will take you onto two of the motoring
   delights of southern England :- The M25 and the M4. Both vary from linear
parking
   lots to something like the the Bayshore freeway at 5pm but travelling at a
mean
   speed of 110mph. The M4 in particular can be very enlightening to visitors
from the
   US. It's not so much the speed (a large percentage of vehicles doing more
than 100mph)
   as the fact that there's only about six feet between the cars. I hope you've
got
   some competition experience.

I don't know of any decent driving experiences in that part of the country. You
could
try heading down the A303 and over salsbury plain (stonehenge and so on). Roman
roads
are the best (strange how they built better roads 2000 years ago).