RE: routine maintenance

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: RE: routine maintenance
From: Kevin Spooner <mit-eddie!hpfcmw.fc.hp.com!spooner@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 12:48:34 est
When considering whether or not to change your oil in you pride and joy
think about the cost of repairing or replacing your engine.  The cost
of oil and a filter is far better choice by my calculations.  I change the
oil in my cars twice a year or every 2000 miles if I drive that far between
oil changes.  Don't forget to change the oil in your trany and diff. at the
sametime these can be more expensive to repair than the engine due to lack of
parts availability.  And last but not least if you have overdrive don't
forget to clean the filter Laycock overdrive parts are NLA.

I would also consider flushing your hydrolics especially if you are using
the water absorbant girling fluid.  Here again water dammaged cylinders
are expensive compared to the cost of new fluid.  I have replaced the
girling fluid in some of my cars with silicon and have found it to be
very satisfactory, but I have only done this after completely overhauling
the system (ie: honing the cylinders and replacing all the rubber.)

Kevin Spooner
The Sports Works of Greeley
Specializing in TRIUMPHS and Brithish Clasics