RE: $200 v12 and tranny

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: RE: $200 v12 and tranny
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!augi@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Joe Augenbraun)
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 90 11:08:23 EDT

>       Date: Thu, 15 Mar 90 17:37:09 EST
>       From: mit-eddie!vax.ftp.com!mason@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Nark Mason)
>       To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
>       Subject: Re:  Looking at a Jaguar
>
>       I saw an XJ12 engine and transmission for sale recently for
>       $200 and thought that if my TR250 can fit an inline 6 it should
>       fit a V12... and I *do* have another TR250 with no engine
>       sitting around... Would that be masochism or what?
>
> Sounds to me like the advert is missing at least a 0.  $2000 for the two
> sound more in line with reality...and even that might be cheap, depending
> upon condition.  At $200 I'd buy it just as an investment for quick
> turnover.  Run, don't walk!
>
> Eric Dashman

For $2000 you could probably have a ratty car attached to it.  $200 is
probably a bit cheap, but not by more than several hundred dollars.
Conversions from the 12 cylinder to Chevy V-8's are fairly popular, and
there just aren't that many people looking for these engines.  The block
is largely unburstable.  Thus supply is a lot greater than demand.

                                                Joe