Re: Midterm on torque vs. acceleration

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Midterm on torque vs. acceleration
From: Iain McWilliams <mit-eddie!gatech!mailrus!uunet!inmos.com!mcwill@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 13:15:46 GMT
George writes:

> > Well, to further elaborate on Jim's discussion, here's a question.  Suppose
> > you have a wide variety of cars from which to choose a street prepared
> > autocross machine.  Which of the two cars will accelerate faster, GT6 or the
> > Spitfire?  Which of the two cars will be a killer machine in the 5 to 45 mph
> > range?
>
>Mark, isn't it getting a little late in the year to decide which car?  :-)
>
>Straying from the subject a little, I'll throw in my two cents of practical
>experience with the GT-6, particularly in the 5-45 mph range.  If you've got
>the suspension sorted out, then the GT-6 certainly SEEMS faster.  If you
>can't afford to tame the front suspension, then the Spitfire is probably a
>better choice, definitely easier to drive.

George, I have a GT6 Mark II, (Read + in the US), that I use every day.
What is this "taming" of the front suspension that you mention ? I can
understand replacing a rear swing spring with a rotoflex system, but what
can you do to the front ?

>This year I'll try the 3.27 diff [On GT6] (the non-overdrive diff -- there's
> at least
>_one_ of those laying around here) and trade off a little overall acceleration
>for some flexibility.  I know it's good for at least 40 mph (3.89 limits
>at 35 mph) using a 6000 rpm redline, ...
>George Emery - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
>           UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!4.42!George.Emery

My GT6 runs on a 3.27 diff plus OD to give final drive ratio of 2.7:1
ie: 25.6 mph/1000 rpm. Very nice when you want to cruise up the motorway
at 3000 rpm, with the engine severly "laid back" :-)

Anyway, 1st on a 3.27 is VERY nice at traffic lights. You can get up to nearly
45 before changing up. Really supprises the Ford XR3i driver in the adjacent
lane who has to change up at 20 :-) (Why do modern cars have such useless
1st gears. Once the wheels have started moving you almost have to change up!!)

Trivia Note :

        Seemingly the Miata designers had a spitfire that they compared
their designs to. Does this make the MX-5 an honorary Triumph :-)

Iain
mcwill@inmos.com

--
Iain McWilliams     Inmos Ltd, Bristol | EMail(UK) ukc!inmos!mcwill