Re: Secrets revealed!

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM (SOL mail list)
Subject: Re: Secrets revealed!
From: T.J. Higgins <mit-eddie!uunet.UU.NET!alpine!tj@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 90 7:55:51 CST
> The reality is......smoke! When you think about it, it all becomes
> startlingly obvius - smoke makes all electrical things function. If
> smoke escapes, the component stops working.

I thought every computer-literate person knew this.  Ever seen a chip
fail?  There is this ever so delicate wisp of white smoke which slowly
curls towards the ceiling.  And the odor is most pleasant.  It is one of
those experiences, like buying your first sports car, that you never
forget.

Of course, the EE and CS depts of the universities are in on the
conspiracy, and don't teach this.  You have to pick it up on your own.
Perhaps Mr. Garnett, being employed by a university, might shed some
light on this, since it is so important to the enjoyment of our hobby.

T.J. Higgins                    uunet!ingr!higgins (UUCP)
Intergraph Corp.  M/S CR041     higgins@ingr.com   (Internet)
One Madison Industrial Park
Huntsville, AL  35894-0001      "Well-weathered leather, hot metal
(205) 730-6191                   and oil, the scent of country air"
                                                        -Rush