TR6 Clutch Question

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: TR6 Clutch Question
From: mit-eddie!mlb.semi.harris.com!jshoe@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Jeff M. Shoemaker)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 90 09:56:09 EST
   TR6  CLUTCH QUESTION :

        I am currently replacing my clutch on my 75 TR6.
I have found more problems the deeper I go ...
  (worn out pilot bearing, bushings in bell housing shot causing
a groove in clutch shaft;  pins on clutch fork rounded; same fork
WELDED to the shaft (a previous 'rig').  sigh .....
  (more $$$/parts from TRF I guess... any used parts out there ?)
  (I wish previous owner would have done it right !!!!)

        I found that the throw-out bearing was riding against
the pressure plate !!!!   This resulted in a 1/32 groove ground
into the pressure plate (which is being replaced anyway).
        My question:  What mechanism keeps the bearing away from
the pressure plate ???  Is there supposed to be a return spring
somewhere (my diagrams show none) ???

        jshoe@melb.semi.harris.com
Jeff Shoemaker      Melbourne, Florida