Re: TR6 Clutch Question

To: sol%hoosier@cs
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch Question
From: mit-eddie!cs.utah.edu!mjb%hoosier@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mark Bradakis)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 90 11:14:52 -0700

::      I found that the throw-out bearing was riding against
:: the pressure plate !!!!   This resulted in a 1/32 groove ground
:: into the pressure plate (which is being replaced anyway).
::      My question:  What mechanism keeps the bearing away from
:: the pressure plate ???  Is there supposed to be a return spring
:: somewhere (my diagrams show none) ???

I assume that when you say the throwout bearing is "riding against the pressure
plate" you mean it is in contact with the diaphragm spring.  As far as I know,
this is normal.  These parts are SUPPOSED to be replaced every now and then.
If it is being held against the spring with some force while the clutch is
engaged (foot off the pedal) then there must be something wrong.

If you really wanted to keep the bearing from contacting the spring during
normal running, I suppose one could fab up a return spring on the release
arm.  If you did this, you'd probably want an adjustable stop on it so it
doesn't force the clutch slave to retract all the way, requiring several
pumps of the clutch pedal to get the bearing back to where it will push against
the diaphragm spring.

mjb.