Re: E-type

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: E-type
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!augi@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Joe Augenbraun)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 90 13:24:52 EDT

> All I know about the car is that it is a rag top '68 E-type series I and
> it is not a 2+2. The colour is original yellow and the headlights are
> covered with a scratched up transparent plastic.

'68 is typically called series 1 and a half.  For the purposes of value,
it is considered a series 2.  Its missing the features that make SI more
valuable, such as the factory headlight covers (which are glass, incidentally)
and the triple carb's.  The good news is that if the car is a non-U.S. car,
it will still have the (very desirable) triple carburettor setup.  Passing
EPA will be a breeze, all you'll have to do is buy one of those terrible 2
stromberg setups from someone and bolt it on.  I don't imagine it'll set you
back more than $200, as there is really no earthly use for these things.  As
soon as you get your certificate, you can bolt the triples back on.

> For those wanting to buy it, I'll let y'all have a go at it if importation
> requires EPA engine conversion. I don't think anyone can carry out
> the modification required to pass an EPA lab test on these cars. But
> maybe somebody can.
>                               Zahid

Like I said, EPA isn't a problem.  DOT is usually more of a hassle, but in
the case of the E-Type, non-U.S. cars were identical to U.S. cars for the
important parts of DOT.  What I mean is that the door latches of all post-67
E types meet DOT, not just U.S. cars, in addition to door beams, instrument
panel dimming, and all of that other nonsense.  The only thing I'm not sure
about is lighting of the heater controls (easy to retrofit) and indication
that the parking brake is on.  The upshot is that if you don't want this car,
I do.

                                                        Joe