jagxj6

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: jagxj6
From: R. Eugene Johnston (smp) <mit-eddie!cs.unc.edu!rej@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 90 10:48:37 -0500
Good to hear from our friends in Sweden. Gunnar, I too have a 72 XJ6
series 1. Mine has 93000miles on the engine, but when I bought it
two years ago, I had the bottom half rebuilt. This cost me about
$3000 US to have it done. Since then I have replaced rusted floor
boards on the drivers side, repaired both fuel tanks and finally
ended up redoeing fuel system the whole way including rebuilding the
carbs. Mine has strombergs, does yours have SU's? I am now trying to
adjust the mixtures on the carbs. My newest tool is a colour tune kit
that should allow me to get the mixtures correct. Anyone else have experience
with using this special sparkplug technique?

I found a lot of troubles with the vacuum controlled heating ventilating
system, and finally replaced the rubber hoses with tygon tubing. This will
eventially harden and have to be replaced, but sofar I haven't had vacuum
leaks with the that part of the system.  I do have periodic vacuum leaks
on the manifold. There must be a zillion inlets on the intake manifold,
of which only about three are used. The rest are plugged, except when the
plug comes off and you don't know it. Then the engine runs rough, won't
idle, starts hard, etc. I eventually remember where all the possible
vacuum plugs are and, sure enough, one has come off. Please let us
know more about British Cars in Sweden and particularly about yours.
Gene Johnston
Univ. North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC