battery charger

To: alliant!alliant.alliant.com!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: battery charger
From: sgi!ames!amdcad!neptune.AMD.COM!zahid@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Zahid Ahsanullah)
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 90 10:52:41 cdt
> When caught with a dead battery and no trickle charger I find putting a 7 1/2
> watt 120V bulb in series with the battery and charger and leaving it overnight
> gives a good trickle. No clue what the actual current is.
>
>>somebody stop me if I've dropped a decimal somewhere, but it looks to
>>me like this would limit  current to about 6ma even if the battery was
>>shorted.  This seems safe enough, in fact hardly enough to do any
>>good.   phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
>>--
>>Login name: phile        In real life: Philip J Ethier
>>Phone: 298-5324

5ma is a good trickle charge value. It may take a long while to charge
it but it'll do a thorough job of getting all the electrolysis product
off of the plates. For a completely shorted out battery it may be
necessary to trickle charge with less 1ma for a couple days (chemical
tweaking is also required which I don't know much about) and then charge
with a higher current value and back to normal trickle charge after that.

                                Zahid