Re: E-Types

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: E-Types
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!augi@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Joe Augenbraun)
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 90 10:27:40 EDT

> well, desirability is somewhat a matter of opinion and somewhat a
> matter of market definition.  the 1.5 has some advantages and some
> drawbacks:
>
>    great looks of series 1, except for those cool headlight covers
>    wimpy dual-stromberg carbs like series 2 (assuming it's a US model)
>    better cooling system than series 1
>    better brakes than old series 1, but same as later series 1 (i think)

The 1968 has the same cooling system as most 1967's (dual fans on the
radiator).  That's what makes the 1967 marginally more desirable than other
4.2 SI's.

I don't remember on the brakes.  I think all of the SI's had 2 piston front
calipers.  I think my 1971 had 3 piston front calipers.  I don't know when
the change was made or if it makes a real difference in the braking.  All
4.2 cars have the same master cylinder and vacuum booster.

> the headlight covers look great, they do tend to scatter the light and
> thus make the headlights less effective, which can be a problem when
> doing 140+ at night 8-O ).

That's true.  IMHO Cibie's or Hellas are mandatory for covered headlight
E's that are actually driven.

                                                        Joe