?TR6 gas and tires

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: ?TR6 gas and tires
From: mit-eddie!Eng.Sun.COM!philr@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Phil Robar)
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 90 22:25:49 PDT
Well, so far I've spent $730 dollars getting my TR6 road ready. Most of
that was for replacing the rear suspension and tuneup. A previous owner
had taken the original suspension out and mounted std. shocks in front
of the wheels. And the engine had some weird connections that had to be
corrected.

Also the wiring is a mess, probably due to the same person. Running
lights and fog lights (aftermarket stuff)and turn signals work, but the
brake lights don't. And after my mechanic hooked my gas guage back up
the head/tail lights, dash lights, and wipers stopped working (and the
gas guage always reads 1/4 tank). But the brights work when you pull on
the light switch. Looks like I'm headed for an electical shop next.

My mechanic had some choice words for this person.

Also got some real bad news from the clutch. Seems the pin which links
the clutch to the transmission needs to be replaced. Estimate is ~$400
because the transmission has to be pulled to get at it.

Anyway here's my questions:

1) The car currently has Vanderstein(sp?) Sprint 70 205/70-15 radials.
Any idea what the proper tire pressure should be?

Handbook says 185-15:   20 lbs. front and 24 lbs rear
Haynes   says 165-15:   22                26

2) What gas should I be using? Handbook says octane rating of 100
(Research rating) as minumum. Doesn't say anything about leaded vs.
unleaded.

Thanks for all the help you all have given me up to this point.

Philip Robar, MTS
Window Systems Group
Sun Microsystems, MS 14-40, 2550 Garcia Ave., Mt. View, CA. 94043

Phone:  (415) 336-1423

Email:

philr@eng.sun.com       (internet with domain name server)
philr%eng@sun.com       (internet w/o  domain name server)
...!{ucbvax,decwrl,decvax,seismo,hplabs}\
!sun!knecht.eng!philr   (UUCP with direct routing)
knecht.eng!philr@sun.com(UUCP with smart mailer?)