Re: Unbelievable!!

To: uunet!alliant.com!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Re: Unbelievable!!
From: mit-eddie!uunet.UU.NET!ssi!coventry!rmb@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Keptin Komrade Dr. Bobwrench III)
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 90 13:57:47 CDT
->If you look on pages 162/163 you'll find some of their torque
->wrenches.  One of them (# TE3005) is a 1-1/2" drive with a
->maximum torque setting of _3000_ ft. lb.!!   With 50 ft. lb. increments.
->
->MY GOD!  Where would someone need to torque something to 3000 ft. lbs.?
->The wrench is 140" long!  Almost 12 feet long!!

        I've actualy seen on of these critters in use too. And on a LBC
no less. Although not the sort of LBC any of us will ever be able to own.
It was being used to dial in the suspension on the back of a Jaguar. A
TWR Castrol-Jaguar XJR-10 on the day of it's introduction to the world
at Lime Rock Park last memorial day weekend. Talk about an impressive piece
of machinery. Took two guys to use it. One to put the socket on the bolt,
and one to pull on the handle....

        BTW: Anyone going to be @ LRP for this year's GTP race? I'll probably
be stashed in my usual spot at the outpost of Big Bend, watching the Nissan's
Jags, Toyotas and 962 coming straight at me at 180+mph. I can hardly wait...

        iii