74 1/2 MGB engine problems??

To: BRIT:;@GSB-WHEN.STANFORD.EDU
Subject: 74 1/2 MGB engine problems??
From: Mark W. Brandemuehl <mit-eddie!GSB-WHEN.STANFORD.EDU!90BRANDEM@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed 11 Apr 90 16:01:52-PDT
My 74 1/2 MGB is exhibiting some interesting behavior which someone might
be able to diagnose for me.  The engine has a Weber 2 barrel kit and about
100,000 miles on it.  The problem is the center two plugs foul out approx.
every 2000 to 4000 miles.  My favorite mechanic feels this may be an
indication I need a head rebuild.

My question.  Can anyone explain how worn out valve guides, seats, etc
would cause this effect?  Second, is it worth it to re-build the head
and not go through the bottom end also?  What should I do to check out
the condition of the bottom end?  Finally, does anyone who has been
through this have any suggestions about the path to take - where to get
parts, where to get rebuilt, how much of the work is doable by a
relatively inexperienced engine mechanic?

Thanks much!

Mark Brandemuehl

90BRANDEM@gsb-when.stanford.edu
415/494-6631