Alpine

To: british-cars@alliant
Subject: Alpine
From: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 90 13:04:07 EDT
I never had the cahnce to drive one when I was younger and more actively
involved in sports car club events, but I was familiar with some.  (I knew
one guy who had four of them, but he was a strange case!)  My recollection
is that Phil E. was right about the handling, though I heard it that the
Tiger handled worse yet (contrary to what the latest C&D seems to think).
The biggest problem with the Alpine was that it was underpowered for its
weight.  The engine was a 1500 (like my Spitfire but with no emissions gear
and got as much power as you might expect) but the car weighed nearly 2300
lbs.  Part of the reason was the frame, a combination ladder and X.  There
were lots of Alpines running back then, but they weren't considered so great.
Jim