Re: Sunbeam Alpines (was: Re: Argh ... not even an april fools joke)

To: Alliant.COM!british-cars@acsu.buffalo.edu
Subject: Re: Sunbeam Alpines (was: Re: Argh ... not even an april fools joke)
From: mit-eddie!hercules.acsu.buffalo.edu!tobin@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mike Tobin)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 90 14:15:44 EDT
The Alpine is basically is a two-seat Hillman Minx with fins.  I went
through a couple Minx Convertables.  They were pleasant and would walk
away from most anyother foreign "compact" of the day -  but I wouldn't have
tried to pick on sports car bigger than a Spridget or Spit (if the other
guy was a slow enough driver I could win).   Hillman owners used Alpines
as alternate parts sources in the wrecking yards and smart Alpine owners
bought Hillman parts from the parts stores (they were sometimes cheaper
- I knew an MGA owner who did that with Metropoliktan parts).  Then
again, Steve Froines' Alpine owned whatever class Alpines ran in in N.
Cal SCCA Prod racing for awhile.

Mike Tobin