Re: Sunbeam Alpines (was: Re: Argh ... not even an april fools joke)

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Sunbeam Alpines (was: Re: Argh ... not even an april fools joke)
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!jesup@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Randell Jesup)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 90 16:32:46 EDT
>The body ID plate will be just under the bonnet, right in front of
>the windshield (I forget what the part of the body between the
>windshield and bonnet is called).  If the numbers aren't the same,
>it's not the original engine, and it will be worth less as a
>collectible, but it won't affect the price as a fun driveable car.
>
>There must be something inherently wrong with Alpine engines,
>something which I have been unable to determine, because no Alpine I
>have seen has had the original engine.  Eddie the Eagle has a
>different engine, and the parts car has no engine at all.  Nothing I
>have read gives any clue as to why this might be.  Is the same true
>for 4-cyl cars of the same vintage (e.g. TR4, late MGA, early MGB)?

        No british car I ever heard of has the same numbers for engine
and body or VIN.  that requires more coordination between engine production
and car production than occurred.  Perhaps that's what american manufacturers
do, but certainly not MG, triumph or austin-healey.

        BTW, in front of the windshield is the 'scuttle'.

        Randell