E-type info sought.

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: E-type info sought.
From: "Stephen H. An" <mit-eddie!BBN.COM!san@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 90 16:05:46 EDT
Well, I did it! After 6 years of owning Porsches, I finally broke down and
became a SOL'er.

I missed out on Sandy Yates' dead uncle's Austin-Healy but I managed
to get a 69 Series 2 E-type Coupe for a reasonable price. It's red, came
from California, with 42K miles, black leather interior etc...

So last week, I went down to Philly picked it up and drove it back to Boston.
The return trip was without any problem except for once when the temp. gauge
went into the red zone, but I think it was due to faulty sender or gauge rather
than over heating.  The sucker is incredibly smooth and boy does it have
torque! I punched it on the Jersey turnpike at 70 mph and got away from my
friend's 944 turbo, all while in 4th gear. The tranny, while a bit slow, was
very crisp and positive, much more so than my 911, and no syncro problem at
all. The girling brakes were also very good in hauling the car down. Though it
felt very long, the car was quite tossable, my friend was quite surprised at how
fast I was going through the off-ramps, the rear suspension always felt very
balanced, not sure whether it was the irs or the in-board brakes, but the low
unsprung mass felt great. And even though it is a coupe, I believe this is the
car with the long 2+2 wheel base, I can only imagine how a 3.8 must feel.

Being a complete novice at owning brit cars, I am seeking the following advice:

1. Books: I have Chris Harvey's and Denis Jenkinson's books on Etype; I ordered
Philip Porter's Etype "the definitive history" book. Any others?

2. Clubs: I am going to join the EJAG publications and probably the Jaguar
club. Any comments or opinions?

3. I am going to replace the twin Stromberg with the triple SU's. Any comments?
Does anyone have the SU for sale?

4. I know about Moss motors? where else? the car badly need all new rubbers
(safe driving?) around the doors etc...

5. The wire wheels are also rusting slightly, any advice on cleaning or
refinishing them?

6. I am going to have the radiator flushed and all fluids changed. Anything
else?

Thanks in advance,

- Steve.