Re: E-type info sought.

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: E-type info sought.
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!augi@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Joe Augenbraun)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 90 14:04:43 EDT
>                           And even though it is a coupe, I believe this is the
> car with the long 2+2 wheel base, I can only imagine how a 3.8 must feel.

If the car has but 2 seats, it is the short wheelbase.  The longer wheelbase
was only used on the 2+2 and V-12 convertibles.

> 6. I am going to have the radiator flushed and all fluids changed. Anything
> else?

If radiator and heater hoses are badly cracked, replace the lot of them, if
they look good and are soft, somebody's already done it, so don't repeat the
work.  I wouldn't put too much money into preventative maintenance beyond
that.  When I had my E-type, I spent most of my money on things that
unexpectedly broke, and that no amount of preventative maintanance would have
kept from breaking.  In the two years I had it I replaced:

        blower motor (twice)            heater core
        rockers and floors              starter
        alternator (3 times)            water pump
        all suspension bushings         front upper and lower ball joints
        all 4 wheels (with beautiful custom made Dayton wheels which allowed
                me to put on wider section tires)
        cam bearings                    oil pressure relief valve
        fuel pump                       recored radiator
        rebuilt brake master, clutch master, brake booster, clutch slave

Of course I used the car as a daily driver which caused more than normal
wear and tear.  The electrical stuff seems inherently delicate, because
they seemed to be the only things that broke after being replaced.  Every-
thing else was kind of par for the course for an 18 year old car.  For all
that the list looks impressive, the car always got me to my destination.
I suggest that you have an experienced Jag mechanic and body shop give the
car a good once-over.  You won't be able to afford to put everything right,
but at least knowing everything that is wrong will let you fix the most
important things first.

                                                Joe