Re: nice weather and air leak problems...

To: alliant!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (local-british-cars)
Subject: Re: nice weather and air leak problems...
From: mit-eddie!think!ames!amdahl!drivax!dambrose@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (David Ambrose)
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 90 03:14:47 GMT
In article <9004241741.AA18475@decwrl.dec.com> metzger@wxyz.enet.dec.com writes:
>It felt greate to take the Midget to work today.FYi New England is enjoying its
>brief comfortable spring driving season that was created with LBC's in mind.
>
>But I noticed a week ago that I have a reasonably serious air leak problem
>around my throttle bushings on both my HS2 carbs on my Midget. Since people
>have reccomended that I not buy the oversized throttle shaft and bushing kit
>from MOSS does anybody have any reccomendations of where to get the kit at?
>(supposed quality control problems at MOSS)

        I bought the bushing/shaft kits from The Roadster Factory.  They are
on back-order and have yet to arrive so I can't say anything about them.

        Having already purchased the kit,  it's probably better and easier
to find a shop that can handle the job for you,  parts and all.  After
getting the same story from a couple of machinists now,  I believe they need
to have a properly sized reamer to do the job correctly.  Each machinist
seems to have their preferred supplier.

        You may have some difficulty in locating a shop that has actually
_done_ this kind of work before.  I don't recommend trusting it to an
inexperienced machinist.  The alignment is critical.

        After checking out the usual places,  I happened upon George Solow's
Engine Room is Santa Cruz who has done the job before and seems to know what
the are doing.  If you have trouble finding a competent shop,  try the
racing people.  They are not cheap though.  The estimate I got was 1-2 hours
of shop time at $60/hr.  I'm not particularly happy,  but it's cheaper than
getting rebuilts from Moss.

>The car will run w/ the present air leak but it will never idle correctly until
>I fix this problem. I'm presently putting white silicon grease around the
>throttle shafts to help remedy the problem. I would like to solve the problem
>correctly.

        Silicone grease?  I never thought of that.  Thanks for the tip!
Might get me through until the kits arrive.  Does the gas wash it away?

        -- Dave Ambrose
           The idiot with 2 LBC's

--
Play it cool;  play it cool;  fifty-fifty fire and ice -- Joni Mitchell
David L. Ambrose, --  Digital Research, Inc          ...!amdahl!drivax!dambrose