Re: LBC

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: LBC
From: mit-eddie!bevsun.bev.lbl.gov!guy@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Aran Guy)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 90 05:38:42 PDT
 The line goes:
 "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way..."

 And Nick Mason owns the 250GTO, as well as some other neato cars.
 Update on my Spitfire.
 Yesterday was my semi-annual root canal session with the California
DMV. Four cars and one boat are now in their good graces. I asked them
about putting in an aftermarket or non-electronic distributor and compliance
with the smog laws.
 "No way." Post '71 cars essentially have to have the original ignition
system. If it don't work, and it costs more than $125 to repair, a smog
station can issue an exemption for two years, but the original parts have
to be on the car or they won't even look at it. From postings and e-mail,
I have come to the conclusion that the epoxy filled ignition module is
essentially irrepairable. But what is actually in the car between the
biennial inspections is a matter between me and my conscience.
 The clutch replacement in the Spit is turning into something of a minor
restoration. Oh, that new varnish on the dash looks lovely! BTW, don't
use just any varnish. Get a good MARINE grade with UV inhibitors. This stuff
lasts YEARS longer than the stuff sold at car stores. I used Captain's
Spar Varnish, on sale at West Marine Products for $11 a quart. The rest
goes on the cockpit gratings on the boat (Ol' One 'I'd Ingrid; a long story...)
 Then the Limey Bumper Car gets carpets, seat covers, tyres, paint where
the hood is burned, new window in the top.
 And for you salt dogs, get this- this 11 year old car hasn't got a SPECK
of rust, even where the paint is chipped away! The California sun may be
hell on dashes and plastic windows, but it sure is nice to scrape up
the carpet remnants and find nice shiny yellow paint underneath.
 "There are liars, damn liars, and DMV officials."
 Aran "2 stickers and 3 Certificates of Non-Operation to go" Guy
  guy@bevsun.bev.lbl.gov