Midget floorboards

To: british-cars%alliant.alliant.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Midget floorboards
From: mit-eddie!RELAY.CS.NET!WALZER%s46.prime.com@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 27 Apr 90 09:40:28 EDT
Yes, at $65 a piece, new sheet metal is VERY expensive - before
the labor of installation.
IF structural members are in good shape, that is, only
 the floor panels are rusted out, you could fabricate new panels
yourself. They won't have the embossed areas as original but..
I recently bought 18 gauge sheet metal (4ft x 4ft is enough for
floor pans under seat area). Cut cardboard template to match
floor area and use to mark metal. When marking metal, include
an inch+ or so to bend up as a lip all around for attaching to
structural members. I intend to undercoat the existing floor(?)
install new metal, and use stainless steel pop-rivets to attach
lip area to structural members.

Spridget floors are fairly simple, flat surfaces requiring straight
(ie no compound curves) for lips. Take marked & cut-out metal to
sheet metal shop to bend up lips.
Money saved in fabricating your own parts can go toward installation
or other work.
Hardest part is making accurate template and getting metal bent so
as to fit accurately.
Besides being automotive mechanics, LBC owners need be tin-knockers too.

Happy Healeying... Duane Walzer WALZER@s46.PRIME.COM