Re: NE SOL meet this Saturday!

To: mit-eddie!ee.rochester.edu!paul@EDDIE.MIT.EDU,
Subject: Re: NE SOL meet this Saturday!
From: linus!att!speedy!gerry@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 90 09:54:55 -0400
RUNNING REPORT:::::

After I rebuilt the top of the engine in the Midget ovet the past month,
I finally got everything together last week-end and started driving it on
Sunday.

As a reminder, I fitted a Kent road cam, Kent valve springs, new guides
and valves and had the head shaved by 003". I had already fitted
a performnace distributor, Weber carb and 4 branch manifold over the
past year.

After spending about 4 hours on Saturdsay setting the cam timing, the
optimum ignition timing and the carb mixture - I ventured onto the road
curious as to how the engine would perform with the modifications.

My first reaction was that I noticed that the engine was a lot smoother
and would rev a lot easier than it did previously. I used to have a
vibration set in at 4500, which has totally disappeared now. I think
this may have been the old valve springs were shot to pieces. It now
revs nicely to 6000 rpm wioth none of the fuss that used to occur. Also
throttle response has improved considerably.

The increase in power is very noticable, especially above 3500 rpm, when
you can feel a definate improvement. Below 2000 rpm I notice that there
is less power than before, but I rarely use that part of the rev range
so it does not bother me. I noticed also that the engine runs slightly
hotter than before.  Fuel consumption is down slightly, but I tend to change
gear at higher revs now than I used to.

At the end of the rally/auto-cross season, I shall be stripping the bottom
half of the engine and will bore it out to 1650cc, using high compression
pistons. Paeco Inc, sells a modified crankshaft with the appropriate
pistons, which I shall investigate at the winter approaches.

Gerry.