Starter solenoids

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Starter solenoids
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 90 16:52:57 PDT
Sarah (TR-4A) hasn't started from the key switch for some months now;
I've had to pop the bonnet and activate the solenoid by hand. It's
an old-style Lucas solenoid with the rubber button at the back.

I finally decided to buy a new switch, but decided I should really see
if that's the problem or not. PUzzling out a British schematic is
no fun, and this was no exception.

As far as I can tell, though,the switch is fine. There's a wire that
runs to a terminal on the solenoid (it's white with red), and it gets 12V
when the starter switch is engaged. The 12V gets to the terminal on the
solenoid. But nothing happens.

My guess is that this is the line to energize the coil in the solenoid.
My ohmmeter shows that there's not path to ground from this terminal
so I'm guessing that either the coil is broken (ouch, $70 for a new solenoid)
or the ground connection is bad.

The thing that I can't figure out is where the bloody thing expects to
get grounded! Just to the case, which is very exposed? Or via the
starter lead, or what? Does anyone know?

Thanks,
chris

(If you figure this one out, we'll talk horns next...:-)