Re: Starter solenoids

To: "bellcore!EDDIE.MIT.EDU!alliant!british-cars"@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: Re: Starter solenoids
From: mit-eddie!bellcore.bellcore.com!taichi!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 30 Apr 1990 15:20 EDT

>I'm rather confused by the profusion of starter solenoids, by the way.
>The TR-2 through TR-4A seem to use the same solenoid: Triumph part
>number 121269, which TRF translates to LUSRB325. This has a usage
>notation "T24M5", which means TR2-4A and '63-'67 MGB. The picture looks
>like the right thing. Price $15.50.
>The TR-250 would appear (pictorially) to use the same item, too, but
>it's a different part number (LU76495) with usage T25S13, with a price of
>$59.50.
>
>The TR-4A is a transitional model in many ways -- and mine was built in
>the last year of production. I'd like to be sure I get the right part.
>Do any of you know if what I really want is the 'true' 2ST, or is the
>less expensive version going to do just as well? Or maybe it just doesn't
>matter?
>
>chris

Actually, the only difference between the early solenoid (TR-2/4A)
and the later (TR-250, etc) is the physical shape and probably
the mounting lugs (I think the early one has all screw terminals
while the later has a spade terminal for the solenoid winding).

In reality, they both do exactly the same thing and I'd suspect the
earlier one is probably of a heavier duty type of construction.
Giving this more thought, I bet you can locate a generic unit at
a local NAPA, PEP Boys, etc that would also do the trick.  On the
TR and most other cars, the function of the starter solenoid is
to just act as a remote relay that closes (when the solenoid is
operated) to allow current to flow through the relay contacts
to the starter.  The only reason for this arrangement is that
the construction of an ignition switch that would be required
to be able to pass the amount of current that flows to the
starter would be out of the question.  (Can you imagine such an
arrangement with the battery cable then being routed to the
switch under the dash.  Not practical at all.)

Hope this helps, and if you want, I'll check my stash of used
spares to see if I have one.  Just let me know.

Bill Sohl