re: Starter solenoids

To: "bellcore!EDDIE.MIT.EDU!alliant!british-cars"@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: re: Starter solenoids
From: mit-eddie!bellcore.bellcore.com!taichi!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 29 Apr 1990 18:47 EDT
Chris Kent asks about the ground (earth) return for the
solenoid of the starter circuit:
>Sarah (TR-4A) hasn't started from the key switch for some months now;
>I've had to pop the bonnet and activate the solenoid by hand. It's
>an old-style Lucas solenoid with the rubber button at the back.
>
>The thing that I can't figure out is where the bloody thing expects to
>get grounded! Just to the case, which is very exposed? Or via the
>starter lead, or what? Does anyone know?

I'm 99% sure that the ground side of the solenoid is indeed
through the case (housing) of the starter solenoid.  None of
the starter solenoids I can recall (both Lucas and others)
have had a separate ground terminal that had to be wired
to the car's ground.  The ground connection is completed through
the metal case of the solenoid to the screws that hold the
solenoid in place and thus to the chassis of the vehicle.

Well, now I'm 100% certain since I just checked out a spare solenoid
I had by holding the case against one battery post and touching a
wire to the solenoid terminal.  Click, click just as it should.
And, as entioned above, there is only one connection for the
solenoid relay itself (That is, in addition to the two large
terminals for the starter cables.)

Bill Sohl