GT6 II

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: GT6 II
From: Iain McWilliams <uunet!inmos.com!mcwill@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 90 15:36:12 BST
It's been quite a while since I last wrote of my trials and tribulations
with my GT6 II. Those of you who were around last year may remember the
problems I had such as broken track rod ends which wouldn't budge, or
an engine that would refuse to stop.

Well since then I've semi-cured the run-on. It was a combination of a
leaking manifold gasket, and an ignition system that was too far advanced.
My car still runs on but not so severly or often.

I also had a differential die on me. Which was replaced with a lot of
cursing at rear springs, especially large transverse leaf springs. Kiddies,
don't try this at home unless you have a spring lifter. It's impossible
otherwise :-(

Well the latest "feature" of my car is a rear wheel bearing that needs
replacing. Unfortunately this is something the home DIYer cannot do so
it's booked in at the garage a fortnight today.

Anyway, Spring is here and my fingers are getting twitchy again. I have
a problem that the collected wisdom may be able to diagnose. With luck :-)
My engine idles fine when cool, approx 800 rpm just after the choke has
been fully disengaged. However when the engine warms up to normal operating
temperature the idle speed drops and oscillates between 450-1000. Any
suggestions in what to look at first ???

Iain.
mcwill@inmos.com