More on MPG of LBCs (Little British Convertibles)

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: More on MPG of LBCs (Little British Convertibles)
From: streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu <streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 08:01:07 -0500

  Congrats to Dale on getting the list going again.  It's good to have
some british-cars mail every day.  Here's a post I tried to send out a
month ago that I was reminded of by the recent inquiry about Spitfire
MPG:

   Something I've been wondering about while considering an LBC as a
daily driver for a city highway commute of 20 miles each way is the
cost of upkeep.  As such, one factor that is of concern with a car
that could be driven 10K miles in a year is its fuel efficiency.
(especially with gas prices around $1.50/gallon)

   Thus, a natural question would be what would the approximate mpg
I could expect to get from various british cars?  I seem to recall
reading somewhere that Spitfires get around 30mpg.  Is this right,
or was the writer out in left field?  It would seem to me that the
best mpg would probably be around 30mpg for Spitfires and Spridgets
and the TR7(?).  I would expect the MGB and TR4 to get more like
20-25mpg, and probably not a whole lot less from a TR6, although
probably more like 15-18 from a TR8.  Does anybody out there keep
track of their mpg for their LBC?

   Then again, practially anything would have to be an improvement
over the 17-18 mpg on the highway from my Ford Maverick! :-)

Kenneth B. Streeter         | ARPA: streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu
MIT LCS, Room NE43-350      | UUCP: ...!uunet!im.lcs.mit.edu!streeter
545 Technology Square       | (617) 253-2614    (work)
Cambridge, MA 02139         | (617) 225-2249    (home)