Re: More on MPG of LBCs (Little British Convertibles)

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: More on MPG of LBCs (Little British Convertibles)
From: guy@bevsun.bev.lbl.gov (Aran Guy)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 05:56:16 PST
  Thus, a natural question would be what would the approximate mpg
I could expect to get from various british cars?
My mileage for mixed city/highway driving has been roughly:
'65 Rover 2000    18mpg
'66 Spitfire      35mpg
'69 GT6           16mpg
'79 Spitfire      20mpg
These numbers were before repairs/modifications.
Respectively, they went to:
                  20mpg
                  35mpg
                  24mpg
                  23mpg
 The big change was the GT6; I bought with a rebuilt, tight engine. After
break-in and judicious tuning, the mileage really went up. I had the same
experience with a re-built MB 220Sb.
 Worse mileage? 14mpg with both a Citroen Maserati and a Ferrari 250GTE,
something having to do no doubt with my happy, energetic right foot.
 Most surprising mileage? A consistant 30mpg with an AUDI fox wagon loaded
to the gills with sailing gear, especially since my same year Fox coupe
only got around 24mpg.
 My mileage I would most like to get? 8mpg in a Daytona Spyder.
 Your mileage, as the saying goes, may vary.
 Aran (22 cars in 15 years) Guy  guy@bevsun.bev.lbl.gov