Alumin(i)um valve covers

To: british-cars@multimax.encore.com
Subject: Alumin(i)um valve covers
From: drabik%hikari@gatech.edu (Timothy J. Drabik)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 09:38:13 EST
First, I'd like to tender my gratitude to Ovr Fovnder for resurrecting the
list.  It's been a long, hard Fall without it.

I recently ordered from The Roadster Factory a ribbed aluminum valve
cover for my Spit 1500, because I was tired of the paint chipping off my
stock cover.  I was disappointed for the following reasons:

* The breather tube, a pressed-in affair, was not sealed tightly, and in fact,
  came loose with minimal handling.

* There is no groove to hold a stock valve cover gasket.  I'll have to squidge
on
  a gasket from a tube eack time; the stock one would be very hard to align.

* The bosses for the two hold-down nuts are as-cast--not spotfaced!  This will
  cause an oil leak unless I get them machined smooth.

What gives?  This apparent lack of attention to detail is disturbing from such
a reputable (and big buck) supplier.  Have they sold out?

                Tim Drabik
                Georgia Tech Optoelectronic Computing
                   and sports car design