RE>Alumin(i)um valve covers

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: RE>Alumin(i)um valve covers
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 10 Dec 90 11:02:29
        Reply to:   RE>Alumin(i)um valve covers
   I had a similar experience with The Roadster Factory this fall;  I bought
a water pump for my TR2 from them.  Now, there are two kinds of pump
available:  the kind that uses your old pulley, and the kind that comes with
a pulley pressed on.  I chose the former, since my pulley was OK.   When I
put the pulley onto the pump,  it fouled out against the body of the pump.  I
had to file about 3/8" of metal off the pump body before the pulley would
seat properly.

   Now, it so happened that I was at Triumphest at the time.  My water pump had
died on the way down.  So I marched back into the hotel, and collared Mr.
Charles Runyan.  It turned out that TRF knew about the problem, but their clout
wth the supplier was limited.  So they had
included a washer to space out the pulley.  Now, anyone who actually tried to
put a pulley on one of those pumps would instantly see that the washer was
totally useless.  So I got the impression that the water pump situation didn't
bother Mr. Runyan all that much.  Luckily, the pump body
was alloy, instead the original's cast iron, so it was easy to file.

   Another similar problem I had was with a TR2 soft top.  TRF stocks Robbins
tops, and while the materials and workmanship are very good, the
TR2/smallmouth3 top that they sell WILL NOT FIT ANY TRIUMPH EVER MADE.   These
tops are too narrow when stretched across the windshield.  I will say to TRF's
credit, that they took the top back without complaint.
To their discredit, I will say that they are STILL CARRYING THE SAME TOPS.
Apparently Robbins will not admit that their pattern is wrong.  Or so TRF told
me over the phone.

    I guess that the bottom line, is that these parts retailers tend to become
complacent about their wares, and need to be prodded by a plurality of
customers.  So:  If XXX is unsatisfactory, COMPLAIN.  You may
not get much action, but if enough people do it, TRF et al will get up off
their collective behinds and do something.

             - Jerry Kaidor
behinds