re: Alumin(i)um valve covers

To: "bcr!gatech.edu!hikari!drabik"@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: re: Alumin(i)um valve covers
From: taichi!whs70@bellcore.bellcore.com (W. H. Sohl)
Date: 10 Dec 1990 9:56 EST
Tim Drabik writes:
>I recently ordered from The Roadster Factory a ribbed aluminum valve
>cover for my Spit 1500, because I was tired of the paint chipping off my
>stock cover.  I was disappointed for the following reasons:
>
>* The breather tube, a pressed-in affair, was not sealed tightly, and in fact,
>  came loose with minimal handling.
>
>* There is no groove to hold a stock valve cover gasket.  I'll have to squidge
>on
>  a gasket from a tube eack time; the stock one would be very hard to align.
>
>* The bosses for the two hold-down nuts are as-cast--not spotfaced!  This will
>  cause an oil leak unless I get them machined smooth.
>
>What gives?  This apparent lack of attention to detail is disturbing from such
>a reputable (and big buck) supplier.  Have they sold out?

Tim, and anyone else that gets poor parts from anyone,

Your posting above should be sent to Charles Runyan, TRF proprietor.
Anyone that has ever been to the TRF facility (or Moss, or any other
major supplier) would see that they recieve and ship 1000s of
parts a week.  The folks that fill your order don't necessarily
know what a good part should look like; they are not trained
to do a detailed inspection on every part they pack, they are
trained to fill orders in a prompt and accurate fashion.

Tim would be helping everyone, including The Roadster Factory
by pointing out the shortcomings of the Aluminum Valve cover
he received.  At least by notifying TRF, they can look into
getting future valve covers that are properly designed as per
Tim's comments.  If Tim is really dissatisfied with the valve
cover, return it.  TRF has a very liberal return policy and,
I believe, is very committed to providing quality parts.
Bill Sohl                      ||  email
Bellcore, Morristown, NJ       ||   UUCP    bcr!taichi!whs70
(Bell Communications Research) ||    or
201-829-2879 Weekdays          || Internet  whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com