Brake rebuild update

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Brake rebuild update
From: mjb@hoosier (Mark Bradakis)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 15:35:58 -0700
Okay, folks, don't use kerosene whe honing brake cylinders.  Or clutch
cylinders, for that matter.  Use whatever type of brake fluid you are
planning on putting in the system.  Using kerosene could lead to various
oils being left behind that could damage the seals in time.  To tell the
truth I use either one, and haven't correlated any failures to the honing
lube.  Bit to be safe, use the brake fluid.  You can go ahead and use the
charcoal lighter when drilling holes in aluminum.  I would not recommend
drilling holes in hydraulic cylinders.

Old:

When honing, do it gently, and use a good splash of lubricating fluid.  For
aluminum, I usually use kerosene as the lubricant.  Well, to tell the truth,
I usually use charcoal lighter fluid from the barbecue supply shelf, as it is
mostly deoderized kerosene.

New:

When honing, do it gently, and use a good splash of lubricating fluid.  For
hydraulic cylinders I usually use whatever type of fluid will be in the system
when work is completed.

Also, another person reminded me that usually Girling-Lucas rebuild kits have
a small pouch of red grease in them.  Use this to initially lubricate the
seals.  It is even more fun to watch, as it is often messier than brake fluid
when trying to stretch that **%$!@ seal over the end of the piston.

mjb.