Austin Healey 100-6

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Austin Healey 100-6
From: yale!harvard!hsi86.hsi.com!archer@encore.encore.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 09:52:53 -0500
Hello all again!

Congratulations and many THANKS to Dale (Ovr Fovnder) for picking up the
ball and running with it again... that is to say to get this wonderful
e-mail list running again!

Anyway, this message is more of a test to see if I can post to the list,
but I want to include SOMETHING British Cars about it!

Scanning the used car ads at this time of the year (especially here in
the Northeast, albeit it being relatively "balmy" right now) doesn't usually
turn up many interesting British car ads.  However, without having the ad in
front of me, I found this little gem this weekend:

        1957 Austin-Healey 100-6 BN4L.  Runs. Needs restoration.
        Original engine.  $3900.

Which caused me to whip out my (wait for it you perverts...) "Illustrated
Austin Healey Buyer's Guide" to confirm a few little details... and also
look at the pictures :-)   YES!  It *is* a four-seater!  Whats more, the
text goes on to say that this is an ideal sports car for a family because
of its four seats.  It also goes on to say that *real* Austin-Healey
enthusiasts really don't consider it as a worthy Austin-Healey and
consequently the car may be found at bargain prices.  For similar reasons
the text adds that because it is not a popular car for enthusiasts parts
are not plentiful and complete restorations will not be easy.  But the
book does say it makes a great car for driving if not for restoring
(are we restorers or drivers?).  Perhaps this is why the car is for sale.
The owner cannot keep up with it anymore.

The photos in the book confirm my worst fears though... that two-tone paint
scheme.  I never did like it.  The ad doesn't say what colours the car is.

Also, does the newspaper have the date correct?  I thought it should be
a 1967.  I didn't realise that the 100-6 BN4 series was made in 1957.
I'm no Austin Healey expert... darn, I should have checked in one of my
other books.

Anyway, its GREAT to have the list back!  Thanks again, Dale!!!

Garry Archer Esq.       {yale, uunet}!hsi!archer  -OR-  archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert