Re: Austin Healey 100-6

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: Austin Healey 100-6
From: xn.ll.mit.edu!ames!pyrthoth.pyramid.com!robbp@bu.edu (Rob Pryor)
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 10:16:50 -0800
Garry Archer Esq. writes:

>I found this little gem this weekend:
>
>       1957 Austin-Healey 100-6 BN4L.  Runs. Needs restoration.
>       Original engine.  $3900.
>
>Which caused me to whip out my "Illustrated Austin Healey Buyer's Guide" to
>confirm a few little details... and also look at the pictures

Garry, you have been looking for a Big Healey for as long as I can remember
being on this list.

If you don't have it, a very good book to have for reference is Cris Harvey's
"Healey: The Handsome Brute".  Title aside it is one of the best books on the
Big Healey.  It includes chapters on; strengths and weaknesses (two chapters),
performance mods, history, personalities involved, reportss from contempory
road testers and more.

>It *is* a four-seater!  Whats more, the text goes on to say that this is an
>ideal sports car for a family because of its four seats.

The two back seats have only enough room for small children and midgets.
One adult sitting side-ways can also fit.  I'm 5'8" and I've been back there.
My knees were on either side of the seat in front of me and I had to hunch
forward to clear the (hard)top with my head.  With the top off, I look out
over the top of the windscreen.

>It also goes on to say that *real* Austin-Healey enthusiasts really don't
>consider it as a worthy Austin-Healey and consequently the car may be found
>at bargain prices.  For similar reasons the text adds that because it is not
>a popular car for enthusiasts parts are not plentiful and complete
>restorations will not be easy.  But the book does say it makes a great car
>for driving if not for restoring (are we restorers or drivers?).  Perhaps
>this is why the car is for sale.  The owner cannot keep up with it anymore.

This is not quite true. *Real* Austin-Healey enthusiasts don't consider the
*Sprite* a worthy Austin-Healey. :-) :-) :-) (Just kidding guys!  Whew! Kind
of warm for this time of year isn't it?)  The problem with the BN4 model of
the 100-6 compared to the 100-4 is performance.  To get the +2 seating, the
car got stretched two inches, in the door section.  As a result, the chassis
got heavier.  The new 6 cylinder engine was longer and heavier.  At the same
time, the perfomance of the new 6 cylinder engine from Morris was
disappointing.  It did not have the HP and torque to cope with the extra
weight.  Its 0-60 and top speed numbers suffered.  The intake manifold was
cast as a one piece "log" with the cylinder head. The Healey's managed to
convince BMC to design a new intake manifold and cylinder head just for the
Austin-Healey.  The new design brought the performance up to where everyone
was happy.

A very common performance mod is to replace the one piece, 4-port, head with
the 6-port head and separate intake manifold..

>The photos in the book confirm my worst fears though... that two-tone paint
>scheme.  I never did like it.  The ad doesn't say what colours the car is.

Although the duo-tone paint was a very popular paint scheme, you don't have
to keep it, Healeys also came in single colors such as Ice Blue, Aquamarine,
Black, Colorado Red, Primrose Yellow and more.

>Also, does the newspaper have the date correct?  I thought it should be
>a 1967.  I didn't realise that the 100-6 BN4 series was made in 1957.

The 100-6 was made from '56-'59, in '59 the engine was bored out and the car
became the 3000.
--
_____________               _____________   Robb Pryor, Pyramid Technology,