re: Healey 100-6

To: british-cars@MULTIMAX.ENCORE.COM
Subject: re: Healey 100-6
From: WALZER%enp.prime.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Date: 11 Dec 90 09:35:59 EST
Good to have BRITISH-CARS back on-line. My thanks also to Dale and Jim
Muller. Just like a LBC restoration, I'm sure there is much personal
time spent (on B-C maintenance) done as a labor of love.

Gary: By this time the 100-6 was a good deal and now sold, or may not even
be worth the $3900. All Healeys "look" pretty much the same. I trust you
know that they are 2+2, not 4 seaters. The '57 100-6 was the 1st year of
the 6 cylinders and the engine is not the most efficient - thus less
desirable. The 6 was made larger, more efficient in 1959 with the 100-6/BN6
series. Because of the 2 year production, some engine parts may be hard to
get. Most/not all other parts are available. All Healeys are desirable. Thus,
you will find some ridiculous prices on total rust-buckets. It's easy to
imagine a decent low priced Healey only to find total rust-buckets. It
can be discouraging to find that someone???? actually buys them. Like buying
a house, you gotta learn the market, see what your money will buy, know
a good deal, realize what work/extra expense is involved, and trade-off
accordingly.
   As you TR, and B owners will find out soon enough, these older LBC's
are not something to be casually bought and driven. Most will require
major work/time/money to make safely and reliably drivable. My first
advice to anyone is to realize what is involved before jumping into a
project car. If it's not your thing, then spending $15k - $20k for a "good"
car is really not a bad price. The money is spent either way: spend big
and drive, or spend small to buy and spend more to make drivable.
  Healeys are cold in winter, HOT in summer, rain inside even when top is
up, loose exhaust systems easily and I love it!

.....  happy Healeying to all.
       Duane Walzer
       WALZER@ENP.PRIME.COM