re: Healey 100-6

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: re: Healey 100-6
From: yale!harvard!hsi86.hsi.com!archer@encore.encore.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 90 10:22:00 -0500
Duane Walzer writes:
> Gary: By this time the 100-6 was a good deal and now sold, or may not even
> be worth the $3900. All Healeys "look" pretty much the same. I trust you
> know that they are 2+2, not 4 seaters. The '57 100-6 was the 1st year of
> the 6 cylinders and the engine is not the most efficient - thus less
> desirable. The 6 was made larger, more efficient in 1959 with the 100-6/BN6
> series. Because of the 2 year production, some engine parts may be hard to
> get. Most/not all other parts are available. All Healeys are desirable. Thus,
> you will find some ridiculous prices on total rust-buckets. It's easy to
> imagine a decent low priced Healey only to find total rust-buckets. It
> can be discouraging to find that someone???? actually buys them. Like buying
> a house, you gotta learn the market, see what your money will buy, know
> a good deal, realize what work/extra expense is involved, and trade-off
> accordingly.

Hello Duane!

Thanks for the info.  In fact your message kind brings one right back down
to earth.  It sounds like a nice car at a bargain price... I probably should
be starting off with something a little more simpler than an old 100-6,
especially if it needs a lot of money to fix it up.

I just got through $400 worth of work on my Toyota Tercel.  My Camry's due
for its annual major service, so I'm a little shell-shocked on cost of car
maintenance right now!

Anyway, Roger Garnet was also encouraging me to go look at the 100-6 ASAP!
He seemed to be suitably impressed with the ad and said even he might
seriously consider it!  So I e-mailed Roger back the complete ad which
includes the (Connecticut) telephone number.  Roger seems the type (and
have all the tools and know-how) that this car would be perfect for.

Garry Archer Esq.       {yale, uunet}!hsi!archer  -OR-  archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert